The historical monument in the beach of Aegio has its own history in the passage of time. It stood strong before natural disasters and human interventions. Standing along the plane tree, this remarkable and historical ensemble was declared a listed monument in 1976.
Historians do not just mention the 12 fountains (Vryses); they glorify them. It was reported that the flowing spring was once dedicated to the goddess of Salvation. Today, the 12 fountains are supplied with drinking water by pumps. According to other reports the original number of the fountains was 14, 16 or 18.
In 1910, when the square and the adjacent area were developed, the fountains were reduced to 12. At the time a bronze lion head decorated each fountain. Their location near the port, explains why older people still call them “The lions of the pier”.
Pausanias described the 12 fountains as “sweet to taste” and to this day they remain closely linked to the long history of the town and perfectly blended in the modern landscape, where they continue to offer refreshment to visitors and passers-by, adding their own special touch to the historical identity of the area.
This post is also available in: Greek
Efthimiou Gatou 1
Tel: +30 6983 220415