Upon their arrival, visitors are awed by the spiritual radiance of the area. This is a place glorifying the relationship between God and man. Thus, the Holy Monastery of Pammegiston Taxiarchon is a powerful attraction for many Orthodox Christians.
One of the Peloponnese’s most historic and important monasteries, it is situated under Mount Klokos, on the right bank of River Selinountas.
Its history starts with Osios Leontios. Born to an aristocratic family, he became a monk after the death of his mother and built his skete at the steep cliff of current “Palaeomonastero”. In 1450, he founded the majestic monastery. His great work and humble character gained the respect and regard of the Paleologoi, who donated to the Monastery valuable religious treasures such as pieces of: the True Cross of Christ, the Crown of Thorns, the Holy Coat, the Holy Stick, the Holy Sponge, and the Holy Nails. These relics are preserved intact to date.
The initial Monastery was destroyed by the Turks twice before it was rebuilt in 1620 near the river Selinountas and destroyed once again by the Turkish Albanians. It was built in its present form in 1775. Its cross-shaped katholikon, with four pillars, features an octagonal dome, windows with marble relied and amazing icons.
It played an important role during the Turkish rule, as it became a hub of the revolution, nurturing faith and empowering the fighters, while it also contributed financially and materially to the struggle for liberty. The Monastery celebrates on 8 November, on the Feast of the Archangels, and on 11 December to commemorate its founder.
This post is also available in: Greek
Efthimiou Gatou 1
Tel: +30 6983 220415