The Philharmonic Orchestra of Aigio is one of the oldest orchestras of Greece and during its years of operation it has brought up many musicians, continuing its work right up until today. It was found by the decision of the mayor of Aigio, Spyros Panagiotopoulos, in 1892, while its first leading musician was the Italian Odesseo Mattiotsi. The first appearance of the Orchestra took place in 1894 at Psila Alonia, consisting of 40 children. Later on, the Orchestra progressed significantly, broadened its repetoire and travelled in and out of Greece.
The Philharmonic Orchestra of Aigio also has a privately owned court-theatre in the centre of the city, the ”Centre of Language and Arts”, which was formed by the actions of the former mayor of Aigio, George Panagopoulos. Now, with the repetoire the Orchestra has, it participates in concerts, national and religious celebrations, while it has taken part in quite a few events in the country, but also abroad.
This post is also available in: Greek
Efthimiou Gatou 1
Tel: +30 6983 220415